8.10.08

[LOOK AGAIN / THINK AGAIN IDEA GENERATION]

After our tutorial and realising that I had thought far too much about the final piece I took a step back and went back to the research side of things.

The first step was to research into what I had been recommended in the tutorial. I browsed through books such as Communicate and Shock in Advertising to get a better general feel of advertising and to gain a better understanding of smoking within advertising. Even though the smoking related advertising in the books, was all dealing with the anti smoking side of things it helped me realise that I didn't need to make my piece overly complicated. There are a lot of easily recognisable symbols to do with smoking and I should use these to my advantage.

The use of a symbol such as the cigarette symbol that is world wide recognised, would mean that I could stray away from my initial idea of a cigarette packet with a prescription label on it; that from afar may just look like an advertisement for a cigarette company (which is completely the opposite of what I want!). It also means that the could be viewed from from a distance and the viewer would be able to instantly pick up what it is about, without maybe reading the text.

I then started to look into Damien Hirsts' 'Pharmacy'. Even though it maybe didn't have a lot to do with the whole smoking side of things it did generate two big ideas. The first being the whole pharmacy side of things. I had already thought of using simple easy recognisable symbols, and the green cross of the pharmacy is another one I could use to my advantage, especially with the whole prescription idea of things. The second being the simple bold colours used in his installation. It really made it a striking piece of art, and I feel that a few or maybe even one bold colour would make the poster stand out from the crowd, making it eye catching.

After experimenting with a few ideas I decided to go down the symbol route, and produce the campaign for The Green Party.

No comments: