6.2.09

[NOW SHOWING]

Whilst researching last night I also came across - WIWP Presents "Now Showing"
Exploring the Lost "Art" of the Film Poster. To put it simply it was an exhibition where designers and illustrators were invited to take a favourite cult film of theirs and redesign the film poster using their own style and interpretation. Or as they put it -

"40+ Creatives were given the task of creating their own interpretation of a Cult, Classic or Obscure film poster from the past, whether it be a literal or abstract solution. The result is Now Showing, an Art exhibition paying homage to more than 70 years of film, through the form of Prints, One Off Screen Prints and Sculptures."

Link to images on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/keepsmesane/sets/72157601618281265/

The results to put it bluntly are fucking awesome! The amount of different styles, techniques, typefaces, illustrations is just amazing. Really wish I had known about it when it was on as I would have definitely popped along. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this as this has really given me the motivation to do this myself, and hopefully I can produce something that would have sat proudly with these.

The exhibition ties in closely with what I had in my head as to what I wanted to do. It's a great starting point, and I am looking forward to moving on from this and designing my own.

My favourites from the exhibition are -

Metropolis

Faster Pussycat... Kill! Kill!

Blade Runner

The Birds

Creative Review produce a monograph for this show, and I already have it in my hand (thanks to Vicky Martin!). Can't wait to have a flick through it.

No comments: